Saturday, January 1, 2011

Galax VA 12/31










Here are some photos I took while creeping around the industry district in Galax, VA. Neighborhoods like this are interesting to me because of the many textures and layers of residence. What started off as housing for the local industry workers becomes the poor side of town and often the houses contrast greatly in appearance as they become homes to people of different generations and levels of employment. There seems to be a great deal of storage here, too.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff! This has happened too in Pulaski...around Dora Highway & on the southwest side. I invite you to do a creep sometime in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last photo has a building that looks like
    an arrow pointing up!

    The "wood church" and "rock church" were an interesting contrast.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. My uncle used to preach at the Disciples of Jesus Tabernacle. I've witnessed many a strange and creepy moment there. I'll have to tell you some stories.

    I like those panoramic shots. Are you piecing those together with digital images/ photoshop?

    ReplyDelete
  4. the panoramas are shot as raw files, adjusted, then photomerged. PS does a pretty good job putting everything together. Thanks much for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back behind downtown in Radford has this sort of look to it too-- I just ran across a roll of film I shot of that area. There's something about small towns, the weird old stuff sticks around. Probably because space isn't at as much of a premium as in a big city.

    That second panorama really caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete